Date: 10/1/19 12:36 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Sep 2019) 143 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kelley Nunn, Lana Glass

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Jim Balint, Lana Glass, Kelley Nunn
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Drizzle (100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 4,600-2,700 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 63 - 71F, Winds E/SE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (50).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-2; 4 yr.-_; adult-7
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
I feel like the weather looks today, dismal and gray, sky hanging low, a
light drizzle of despair. Not optimistic about what is to come. In bad
need of “field brew?” At least it would help. Anyway, Vultures took
very quickly to the air; perhaps in reaction to my mood?
<BR><BR>
Canada Geese continued the beginning of their movement, first noticed a few
days ago with small, high flocks heading south. Not the main push by any
means, but a start. But it was a huge day for Monarch migration. These
little miracles filled the air.
<BR><BR>
Jim was out clamoring for “field brew” of his own, but it was not to
be. Lana was out this dreary day with the gift of a portable lawn chair.
I can always use more of these, thanks Lana! And Lana brought gifts of
cookies, too. Lord knows, I can ALWAYS use more of those, too! And as you
may or may not have heard, gifts of food and drink are not only welcome,
but are encouraged here at Bucktoe!
<BR><BR>
Kelley was out bringing her good eyesight and luck with her. The hawks
picked up, making no sense. The winds were from the east, the dreary sky
lacked thermals, but hawks were moving, and in good variety.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, White-crowned Sparrow, Bobolinks, Palm Warblers, and Blue
Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 125, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (_): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.88; Steps:
6,760; Floors: 3.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 50; this season:
108
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Mostly Cloudy, but improving with the winds wrong
again. Doesn't look great, but I was wrong today!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek