Date: 9/30/19 6:48 pm
From: 'bill butler' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] bird ID (Common Loon)
My thought isthat the darker head of the 2nd bird is an artifact of it having its head turned 135 degrees to the camera while the head of the 1st bird is at 90 degrees. The more oblique angle presents the darker back of the head, obscures the white markings and creates a shadow.

Cheers, Bill Butler

On Monday, September 30, 2019, 11:12:31 PM UTC, Beverly Wolf <Bev_Wolf...> wrote:

I am currently camping on Indian Lake near Manistique.  About 300 yards off of the shore I spotted a common loon (picture attached).  Although the picture is terrible – rain, fog, and higher ISO – I do know it is a common loon.  I then spotted another bird about 100 yards from the first.  The second bird appeared from a distance to be a loon – but noticeably larger than the first.  Again, I took a picture at 300mm (same as the first).  Although it has characteristics that are loon-like, I’m thrown by the dark neck that blends from the face down into the breast. Also, the second one is definitely browner than black.  Is this a juvenile loon, or something other than a common loon?  Thanks for satiating my curiosity (if there’s enough detail in the pictures).

Bev

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/006601d577e4%246fda6450%244f8f2cf0%<24...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org