Date: 9/30/19 6:34 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (29 Sep 2019) 351 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 351 29461 29461

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Cindy Isenhoff

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jim McCoy, Olga Klekner

Visitors:

The weather kept most visitors away today, but Baxter and Kayla from
Toronto braved the weather, and a couple of other families as well as a
young couple from Peterborough.

Weather:
Completely overcast with a slight haze in the morning that turned to
drizzle by 11am, and rain by noon. N and NE winds steady at 11 to 13 kmph
were perfect for hawk migration. It would have been nice to have some
sunshine though.

Raptor Observations:
We logged 8 species of Raptors today with American Kestrel taking 1st place
in numbers. The winds were favorable for the entire count, but the clouds
and eventual rain did not help the birds today. We did not see any
migrating Eagles today, only a couple of the locals hunting the marsh. With
all the cloud cover and drizzle we would have expected the birds to be
flying low today, but instead they were at times very high.

Non-raptor Observations:
WWe logged 8 species of Raptors today with American Kestrel taking 1st
place in numbers. The winds were favorable for the entire count, but the
clouds and eventual rain did not help the birds today. We did not see any
migrating Eagles today, only a couple of the locals hunting the marsh. With
all the cloud cover and drizzle we would have expected the birds to be
flying low today, but instead they were at times very high.

Report submitted by Bob Pettit (<redknot...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5950e61b1d16ef88014934c0c2171ab7...>