Date: 9/30/19 4:12 pm
From: Beverly Wolf <Bev_Wolf...>
Subject: [birders] bird ID
I am currently camping on Indian Lake near Manistique. About 300 yards off
of the shore I spotted a common loon (picture attached). Although the
picture is terrible - rain, fog, and higher ISO - I do know it is a common
loon. I then spotted another bird about 100 yards from the first. The
second bird appeared from a distance to be a loon - but noticeably larger
than the first. Again, I took a picture at 300mm (same as the first).
Although it has characteristics that are loon-like, I'm thrown by the dark
neck that blends from the face down into the breast. Also, the second one is
definitely browner than black. Is this a juvenile loon, or something other
than a common loon? Thanks for satiating my curiosity (if there's enough
detail in the pictures).

Bev

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/006601d577e4%246fda6450%244f8f2cf0%<24...>