Date: 9/30/19 3:50 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (30 Sep 2019) 494 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 494 29604 29604

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to our visitors today who helped to point out flocks of Blue Jays
coming over our heads. Thank you to David and Michelle, Bree and her
family, as well as Martha and her friends from Victoria B.C.

Weather:
Today was pleasant day on the tower, with warm temperatures and staying
mostly overcast. The humidity was very high for most of day and the wind
blew from the North-East most of the morning only to change to East and
South-East in the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
We had a variety of raptors passing over us today, with the biggest numbers
going to the Turkey Vultures (221). We also counted many Sharp-shinned
hawks (109), and our highest count of Northern Harriers so far this season,
31. To our delight, we counted 98 Broad-winged hawks, potentially the last
ones to migrate for the season. Hopefully we'll count a few more!

Non-raptor Observations:
We had a lot of activity on the tower, but today was all about the Blue
Jays, with a daily count of 22,920!
Other highlights, that we managed to count between masses of Blue Jays,
included many warblers, Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers,
Red-bellied woodpeckers, Tree Swallows, Brown Thrashers, Nighthawks, and
many murmurations of starlings. Busy day!
Yellow-rumped warbler: 33
Magnolia Warbler: 3
Black-throated green Warbler: 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker: 1
Northern Flicker: 19
Tree Swallow: 970
Ruby-crowned Kinglet: 8
Starling: 844
Black Saddlebag: 24
Monarch: 142

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60246445

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a hot day on the tower with some pretty
unfavourable winds coming from the South-West most of the day. However,
Sharp-shinned Hawks and Kestrels have been known to fly in these
conditions, hopefully they will make their way towards us.
After today's Blue Jay success, we are hoping for another big migration
from them.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<14dd0f412fbf6398c13c99577c89cea4...>