Date: 9/30/19 2:48 pm
From: David Smith <lacsmith12...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Eclectic Mix of Migrants
While documenting the late butterfly activity in our gardens and meadow
yesterday (29 September 2019), I had a couple of interesting birds. The
first was an Orange-crowned Warbler, which seemed a bit early in the
season (I had one in the yard a few years ago in November). I first
heard it singing softly from a tree in the backyard. It then flew down
to a shrub less than 10 feet from where I was standing. I got an out of
focus photo of it as it flew from the shrub back to the tree. A bit
later I was watching a Bald Eagle soaring overhead when I noticed a
Peregrine Falcon streaking south. I also observed a Magnolia Warbler fly
over the house. And there was still a lone immature Ruby-throated
Hummingbird nectaring on flowers and feeders in the yard. I just saw a
Ruby-throat visiting one of the feeders so we still have one on the last
day of September. That is late for us in SW Carroll County.

David Smith
Mount Airy, MD