Date: 9/30/19 10:01 am
From: DJLauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Snowy Plovers, Clatsop County
Hi Owen

Great to see reports/photos of banded plovers!

For people who have never seen a banded plover, we read the bands left
leg to right leg, up to down.    So in this case we have three individuals:

G/R/G:R, R/O/R:B, and what looks like A/R/A:B.

What we see here are three birds banded as chicks at the hatching, so
they are banded with what we call a "triple stripe" on the left leg
(sometimes we use a "double stripe"), and a solid plastic band  on the
right.   The triple stripe is vinyl tape over a Federal band.    The
right leg donates what year the birds were banded in, and the left leg
tells us what brood it came from.    Adults can be banded with 2 color
bands on each leg.

The colors are G - green, R - red, B - blue, O - orange, A - aqua

G/R/G:R was banded at  South Siltcoos, Lane Cty on 6/22/2018.   So  this
is a one year old bird.   I  am uncertain of sex as the bird is facing
away and it is fall when most birds are in alternate plumage (ie, non
breeding) and thus are often difficult to sex.

R/O/R:B - this is a hatch year 2019 bird from Coos Bay North Spit,
banded on 7/11/19.  Typically juvenile plovers can be told from adults
by their scaly plumage, caused by the fine white edging on the
feathers.   As the fall progresses the edges wear off and the plovers
become harder and harder to distinguish from adults.

A/R/R:B - this is also a hatch year 2019 bird from South Tenmile, Coos
Cty banded on 7/7/19.

Some might surmise that a blue band on the right leg means it is a
HY2019 bird, and this is generally true.   However we also used Orange
on the right leg for some broods this summer.

Thanks for the report, much appreciated!

Some might notice that these birds actually dispersed north and did not
migrate south.   This is normal.    Plovers can be migratory, or non
migratory.    They will disperse in both north and south directions.
Some birds winter further north than they breed.    Some birds never
leave their breeding sites and are present year round.    Some birds
just migrate short distances, some migrate as far as the  Channel
Islands, San Diego, and Baja California.    There is little rhyme or
reason to this as far as we understand.   What we do know is that they
have high site fidelity in both winter and summer - once they establish
a wintering area or a breeding area, they almost always return to those
areas in subsequent years.    Some birds live only a few years, some
live many years, with our oldest individuals in Oregon in the 15 year
range.    The oldest known individual is a bird born in Oregon, but is a
Humboldt Co California breeder/winterer.   As of this past summer, he is
18 years old and still producing chicks.

Cheers
Dave Lauten
Oregon Biodiversity Information Center
Institute for Natural Resources
Portland State University

On 9/27/2019 9:27 PM, Owen Schmidt wrote:

> ….. this morning, a flock of 6 on the ocean beach north of the Peter
> Iredale, 3 of which were banded.  Photo below.  Also one Snowy Plover
> on the river beach,  unbanded.  With Jack Kiley and John Elizalde.
>
> <oschmidt...> <mailto:<oschmidt...>
> Friday, September 27, 2019

Join us on Facebook!