Date: 9/30/19 9:07 am
From: Derb Carter <derbc...>
Subject: conservation stamps
The winner of this year's federal "duck stamp" contest was just announced. It is a really interesting depiction of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks by an Alabama artist. These are really conservation stamps that protect habitat for multiple species. The $40 million raised each year from stamp sales go directly into wetland restoration and protection. Only waterfowl hunters are required to have a stamp, but anyone can purchase one from the US Postal Service. I started buying a stamp when I was young and have now bought one every year for over 50 years (you can still get the original tear off moisture activated stamp which I would recommend, even though most of those sold now are peel off). With the decline in birds recently discussed, this is a small thing that you can do to benefit birds dependent on wetlands, from Black Ducks to Black Rails. It is noteworthy that waterfowl were one of the only groups of birds that has actually (and significantly) increased over the last 50 years
.

Derb Carter
Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!