Date: 9/30/19 3:58 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Sep 2019) 56 Raptors

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (21): Alexandra Laub, Hank Davis, Mike Gardner, Harvey Rubenstein,
Lana Glass, Carol & Ron Majors, Jean-Marie Gauthier, John Bradley, Beth
Bradley, Heidi Raimato, Fran DeMillion, Adam Bartles, Elaine Kirk, Lucille
St Pierre, Chandika Snider, Tom Brokaw, Hasan & Kulsum Ali, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Cloudy (25-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 69 - 82F, Winds North @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (62) and
Turkey Vultures (71).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-1; adult-7
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
I joined Bucktoe’s regular Sunday bird walk for the first hour today.
Fifteen of us saw 40 species, including Belted Kingfisher, Bald Eagle,
Cooper’s Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, Americn Kestrel,
Magnolia Warbler, American Redstart, Blue Grosbeak, and Scarlet Tanager.
But the real find was a female SUMMER TANAGER [my FOY – see photo]!
<BR><BR>
After seeing the Summer Tanager, I departed for the Hawk Watch. Many
people were out, and it was particularly nice to see and chat for so long
with property owner, Tom Brokaw today. Tom, you need to get out here more,
relax and enjoy what you’ve done!
<BR><BR>
Hawks were moving a bit more in the morning, with single Broad-winged Hawks
in the mix, from time-to-time.
<BR><BR>
Gerry was out and with a new calendar featuring his bird photos. Thanks
Gerry. If anyone is wondering, the new car tire trail at the hawk watch
grass trail is cutesy of Hank. Thanks, Hank. Just how heavy does that bus
feel that I rolled on top of you?? Seriously, thanks for helping with the
water feature, buddy. It will soon be up and running, bringing
Orange-crowned Warbler, Lincoln’s Sparrow, and who knows what else,
right?
<BR><BR>
After the watch, I went to New Garden WTP. There were Ring-necked Duck,
Wood Duck, Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and Least Sandpiper at the ponds.

<BR><BR>
Passing what was and will be again, once rainfall returns to normal, Wilson
Road Pond, I saw Eastern Meadowlark and American Kestrel.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfisher, COMMON RAVEN, Brown Thrasher, Veery, Swainson’s
Thrush, White-crowned Sparrow, Bobolinks, American Redstarts, Magnolia
Warbler, SUMMER TANAGER, Scarlet Tanager, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 65, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Red Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.39; Steps:
12,649; Floors: 17.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season:
108
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
SUMMER TANAGER.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit dismal with skies heavy with clouds and
easterly winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: