Date: 9/29/19 10:42 pm
From: Glen Tepke <g.tepke...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Never mind -- Re: CARE Park Nashville Warbler?
Lee - I think the reason for this discrepancy is that eBird alerts
include all reports of species that have been flagged as rare for the
location/date of the sighting, regardless of whether the report has
been reviewed and confirmed by the regional eBird reviewer.¬ But the
records are added to the checklist for the hotspot only after it has
been reviewed and confirmed.¬ Same, I think, for the species maps -
if you looked at the species map for Nashville Warbler, Norman's
record would not appear until after it had been reviewed.¬ I think
Cornell treats the records this way because the purpose of the alerts
is to get word about rarities out as quickly as possible, even if some
bogus records are included, but accurate data is more important than
speed for the hotspot lists and species maps.

If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone more familiar with the
mechanics of eBird will correct me.

Good birding,

Glen Tepke
Oakland/Santa Cruz

On 9/26/2019 8:23 AM, Lee Jaffe wrote:

This morning's eBird alert clarified the sighting described below.¬ I
was confused by how eBird displays lists, with no mention of the
Nashville Warbler if you "explore hotspots."¬ But looking at Norman's
list via the link in the alert includes the sighting.¬ ¬ So, why
would they leave out sightings when you are reviewing a list from a
hotspot?¬ It certainly left me flatfooted.¬ Sorry for my confusion.
Lee
On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 12:07 AM Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
wrote:

After seeing the MBBirds posting Wednesday morning that a
Nashville Warbler had been spotted at CARE Park, I stopped¬ by to
see if I could spot it.¬ And I thought I did and got some so-so
photos.¬ But checking the ebird list posted for that location
today, I don't see a Nashville included. I wondered if the
Nashville mentioned in MBB was "corrected" to something else, such
as a Yellow-rumped.¬ On the other hand, the photos I got, noisy
as they are, look pretty good for a Nashville (note the
eye-ring).¬ ¬ Please take a look and let me know what you think.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/33415563

Lee Jaffe

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CADy9t8vQf_R1gqYaNwditUE4yYw%<2Bfy8k8jFaRopJY22jQfWUxQ...>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<c439c936-f0fc-3c1f-4716-557af8b691ca...>