Date: 9/29/19 6:31 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (29 Sep 2019) 156 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 29, 2019

Black Vulture 2 94 134
Turkey Vulture 6 301 439
Osprey 7 130 154
Bald Eagle 8 110 151
Northern Harrier 4 15 15
Sharp-shinned Hawk 85 452 468
Cooper's Hawk 7 43 49
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 5 5
Broad-winged Hawk 10 4055 4153
Red-tailed Hawk 2 72 132
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 1 1
American Kestrel 19 63 70
Merlin 1 10 15
Peregrine Falcon 0 10 13
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 4 31 57

Total: 156 5392 5856

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Ed Wanamaker, Michele Varricchio, Travis Rennig

Visitors:
Jack from Central Bucks who spotted many of the early raptors. Michele
Varricchio from Allentown, who was quickly promoted to official observer in
the afternoon, and Tim from Schnecksville. Thanks Tim for holding down the
hawk watch at the end of the day.

Weather:
Skies were mostly cloudy for the first 2 hours of the count, then at 0900
the skies were filled with plentiful sunshine with a high temperature of
72F and a low temperture of 62F. Winds were from the north northeast 5-12
mph in the morning, in the early afternoon the winds were NW at 2-4 mph and
then light and variable winds the last 2 hours of the count.

Raptor Observations:
First of all, what a beatiful early Fall morning at the BOK North look-out.
In addition to a great day, we had over 100 raptors in the first 4 hours
of the count, led by sharpshins, kestrels with a few Bald Eagles, Northern
Harriers, and Broadwings in the mix. A nice diversity of raptors while
steady NNE winds and thermals where in place, then the migration flight
ended as the winds shut down as if someone turned off a spiggot. The last
four hours of the count had 10 raptors, then to add to the uneventful
afternoon up came the lantern flies and my old friends from last Sunday,
stink bugs. We switched over to great conversations from our faithful
Sunday observers and visitors. It has never been all about raptors, its why
most of us keep coming back.

Bald Eagles (8): 0810 Adult; 0850 Immature; 0927 Immature; 1019 Adult;
1026 Adult; 1031 Adult; 1035 Immature; 1102 Immature.

Non-raptor Observations:
We also counted 12 Monarchs, 835 geese, 8 Ravens, 1 Great Blue Heron

Predictions:
Cloudy with a high of 69F. Winds will be light and variable, generally
from the East Northeast

Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!