Date: 9/29/19 12:16 pm
From: krae1010--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Great Falls NP Bird Walk 09/29/2019 (Fairfax County
We had warblers; we had raptors; we even had a thrasher. Oh, and let's not not forget at least 80 robins! Following is the count from Sunday's weekly bird walk at Great Falls National Park, which identified approximately 46 species and included 9 participants.
The walk meets in the main parking lot of Great Falls Park at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings, rain or shine; it does not take place, though, during electrical storms, heavy snows, or when the trails are icy. All those with an interest in the natural world - beginning and experienced birders alike - please join us.
Canada Goose 53
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 20
Common Merganser 2 Routinely observed in this location during the summer months.
Mourning Dove 4
Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo 1 Heard. Probable Black-billed due to characteristics of call.
Chimney Swift 32
Double-crested Cormorant 36
Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1
Black Vulture 9
Turkey Vulture 14
Osprey 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 1 Adult, observed riding the thermals over the upper parking lot in the late morning.
Red-shouldered Hawk 3
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Barred Owl 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 10
Downy Woodpecker 13
Pileated Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 5
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Eastern Phoebe 3
Red-eyed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 42
American Crow 2
Fish Crow 40
Carolina Chickadee 18
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 7
European Starling 4
Gray Catbird 1
Brown Thrasher  1
Eastern Bluebird 3
American Robin 80
Cedar Waxwing 14
American Goldfinch 1
Song Sparrow 1
Common Grackle 20
Black-and-white Warbler 3
American Redstart 2
Northern Parula 5
Magnolia Warbler  6
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60209572

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: "<ebird-checklist...>" <ebird-checklist...>To: "<krae1010...>" <krae1010...>Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 03:00:58 PM EDTSubject: eBird Report - Great Falls Park, Sep 29, 2019
Great Falls Park, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Sep 29, 2019 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
46 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  53
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  20
Common Merganser  2    Routinely observed in this location during the summer months.
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo  1    Heard. Probable Black-billed due to characteristics of call.
Chimney Swift  32
Double-crested Cormorant  36
Great Blue Heron  1
Green Heron  1
Black Vulture  9
Turkey Vulture  14
Osprey  1
Cooper's Hawk  1    A regular park resident.
Bald Eagle  1    Adult, observed riding the thermals over the upper parking lot in the late morning.
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Broad-winged Hawk  1    Immature, roosting in a tree.  No photo available.
Barred Owl  1    Often observed in the park.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  10
Downy Woodpecker  13
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  5
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Eastern Phoebe  3
Red-eyed Vireo  6
Blue Jay  42
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  40
Carolina Chickadee  18
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  7
European Starling  4
Gray Catbird  1
Brown Thrasher  1
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  80
Cedar Waxwing  14
American Goldfinch  1
Song Sparrow  1
Common Grackle  20
Black-and-white Warbler  3
American Redstart  2
Northern Parula  5
Magnolia Warbler  6
Blackburnian Warbler  1    No photo available.