Date: 9/29/19 12:11 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Monterey County vs. Santa Cruz County fall migration mystery
Lee

I just wrote a note that pointed to this, but I should clarify with an answer to your question. The reality is that rarities (vagrants) are NOT following the same migration pattern as our regular western migrants. They are behaving in very different ways, and likely reacting to the environment in different ways as well but that needs to be studied. I do not think that coastal willow thickets are great habitat for migratory birds, but they appeal to vagrants. Our Western migrants are more likely to be inland, some are actually migrating south using montane meadows at this time of year as there is an abundance of food there. Many of the western migrants we have on the coast are inexperienced youngsters, based on banding data.

Good birding,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>