Date: 9/29/19 12:01 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Monterey County vs. Santa Cruz County fall migration mystery
All

Migratory passerines do not need updrafts to migrate, good wind direction yes, but the updraft issue is not a factor. Also keep in mind that we have precious few migrant passerines on the coast itself. The volume of migrants here is very low compared to the volume one finds out east (head out at night to listen to nocturnal migration, nearly nil in many coastal sites). Also the Western migration system is quite different, with birds using shorter flights, and having a generally shorter distance from breeding to wintering areas compared to the East. Finally, it is key to separate what is a good vagrant trap as opposed to a migrant trap. The two can sometimes be the same place, and often are in the East, but in the west they can be different. The behavior of mirror image disoriented eastern vagrants is not going to be the same as that of a Western migrant that is a bit too far west of its regular route.

I bet there are very few western migrants crossing Monterey Bay because they are migrating inland, not on the coast. Vagrants on the other hand, they will be over the water or hugging the coast. It is the reason why I have seen multiple Tennessee Warblers in my yard, but no Hermit Warbler.

Regards

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>