Date: 9/29/19 11:08 am
From: Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Monterey County vs. Santa Cruz County fall migration mystery
Vagrants, rather that regular migrants are largely mirror-image misoriented
flying SW instead of SE. Songbird migration is largely at night and
misoriented birds finding themselves over the ocean at dawn will reverse
migrate, heading NE until they find the closest visible land.

The Monterey Peninsula is more isolated than SCZ (surrounded by water on
three sides) and is thus may concentrate arriving vagrants similar to Point
Reyes and the Farallons. Birds coming back from overshooting over the ocean
may hit Monterey first as the closest visible point of land. Those that
hit SCZ may be more dispersed along the broader SCZ coast and harder to
find.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA