Date: 9/29/19 1:37 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Sep 2019) 98 Raptors

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (1): Where on earth was everybody. It was just me!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 13,500-2,500 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 63 - 86F, Winds South @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (73) and Turkey Vultures (63).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-_; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Sept. 26, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Before going to Bucktoe, I visited New Garden WTP. The light here is all
wrong for morning visits and I won’t do that again, but I did see
Ring-necked Duck, Wood Ducks, Killdeer, and Lesser Yellowlegs.
<BR><BR>
Very often I can get a feel for the type of day we’ll have for passerines
– small songbirds – as I drive along Bucktoe’s lengthy driveway to
the Hawk Watch. If migration overnight has been good, birds will flit
about from thicket to thicket. There will be flashing of small birds from
one tree to another. Sparrows and others will dart off the road as I edge
along. Today, there was none of that. I did not feel good about songbirds
in general or my early morning walk to Warbler Meadow, in particular.
Still, I went because that’s just the kinda guy I am. Oh, the sacrifices
I make. Let’s see if I’m right about it being dead. Sadly, I was. I
circumambulated Warbler Meadow; the only migrants I saw were Swainson’s
Thrush, Veery, and two each of Northern Parula, and American Redstart.
<BR><BR>
Back up at the Hawk Watch, I found it, as usual, difficult to explain. I
expected nothing here, as well. The winds were all wrong, the season has
been poor thus far, and the sky hung low, yet I was getting birds. COMMON
RAVENS were very evident today. There were good numbers of Bald Eagles,
Ospreys, and others. I even had a kettle of Broad-winged Hawks [woo-hoo],
unusual for this year! Then at 1:10pm, a bird soared right overhead, very
obviously an Eagle, but it appeared all dark. It’s too early for GOLDEN
EAGLES, but still, there it was – a possible adult! I took pictures, but
was not happy with the head shape and light conditions and the bird goes
uncounted. I hate when that happens!
<BR><BR>
Scott texted with a report of a Common Nighthawk at Schuylkill River
trail. He sounded a bit sober, so I’m reporting it. [SS] It is quite
unusual. Not so much the Nighthawk, but Scott being sober! [Gotcha,
buddy!]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, COMMON RAVENS, Brown Thrashers, Veery, Swainson’s Thrush,
Bobolinks, American Redstarts, Northern Parula, Rose-breasted Grosbeak,
and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 35, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Red Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.82; Steps:
15,986; Floors: 28.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season:
107
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks GOOD, with the passage of a front, albeit weak
and mostly dry. The shies should have nice background clouds and a north
wind. We'll take it!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: