Date: 9/28/19 7:54 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Shorebirds 9/28/19
I haven’t seen a tattler this year since I haven’t really birded in Coos
since early July. Didn’t see one today- oh well, did see the following:

Bandon very high tide so all shorebirds along south jetty:

13- Marbled Godwits
12- Whimbrel
15- Black Oystercatcher (including observations from Coquille Point as well
as south jetty)
2- SB Dowitchers (juvies- easy ID)
1- LB Dowitcher (also juvie with flock- easy ID when I got closer)
85- BirdBlack Turnstone
15- Surfbirds
Also 2 Merlin and a couple Caspian Tern.
No tattler and to early for Rock Sandpiper.
No Black Scoter as recently reported on eBird (grrrr so many questionable
reports!) but many Surf Scoters in all sorts of funky molting plumages.

Back in Coos in PM on bay side on N Spit Coos I saw the following:

6- Marbled Godwits
22- BB Plovers
15- Killdeer
1- Dunlin

Looked hard for kingbirds without luck....

Also first Eared Grebe on N Spit two days ago along with lots of Fox &
Golden-crowned Sparrows plus a couple of Lincolns.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!