Date: 9/28/19 7:32 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] One That Got Away? Zone tailed hawk
As I've mentioned before, a group of 5 to 10 turkey vultures were soaring
around the cliffs near my place as they do every afternoon. It was good
soaring weather, calm at ground level but clouds blowing East and blustery
wind at their altitude. The winds buffeted them around a bit as they soared
in wide circles. From the north came a somewhat smaller 'vulture' with a
similar profile and dihedral. The sky was back lit and all the birds
appeared dark but I got very good looks at the size comparison. Red Tails
often join these vultures and I'm very familiar with their comparative
shape. It took me a little while to realize that it wasn't a vulture but
the size comparison at least was unmistakable. Other than the size the most
significant difference was that the mystery bird often spread its tail for
greater buoyancy as it turned and was buffeted. This was very unlike the
turkey vultures. The mystery bird didn't join the turkey vultures but
gradually moved through them South, in circles, with the vultures remaining.

Not a good OBRC candidate but can I count it as a Yardbird - - that's the
conundrum!

As was recently mentioned on OBOL this the time of year for these very rare
vagrants in Oregon. Too bad I didn't have my camera.

Bob O'Brien Carver Oregon

Join us on Facebook!