Date: 9/28/19 7:33 pm
From: reports--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Harvey's Knob (28 Sep 2019) 9 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 5 7

Total: 9 6283 6359

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 13:45:00
Total observation time: 3.75 hours

Official Counter: Andrew Newcomb

Observers: Allen & Robin Austin, Kristine & Dana Newcomb

Visitors:
Allen and Robin, my parents, Philip stopped by for a couple minutes as he
was going for a cruise on his motorcycle. A trail club/boy scouts who got
to see the Red Shoulder and also got to see a Broad Wing. A British car
club, a view of them came to ask how the hawks were doing. One man was
talking about how he didnt mind the Red Tails but hates Coopers for they
kill his Pigeons. Bikers and hikers.

Weather:
Temperatures started out at 80°F before rising to 84°F. Smalls winds
headed towards the SE with some gusts within them. Very hazy day-the
diddles weren't very visible, but the sky was very blue. At about 1:15 a
storm started coming over the mountains and after seeing several lightning
strikes, we decided to pack up.

Raptor Observations:
ABE 1:04 PM (12:04). First bird was a Kestrel at 10:25 AM. Not too many
birds, but a good variety made today exciting. Good views of most birds
with the best view I've ever gotten of a Red Shoulder-which was my first RS
of the season. 2 Local Red Tails

Non-raptor Observations:
66 Monarchs, Eastern Towhees, Blue Jay's, Goldfinches, Pileated Woodpecker,
Chimney Swifts, Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, Clouded Sulphur, Red Spotted
Purple, Cabbage Whites, the Red Admirals are still hanging out on the tree
on the trail, the big 3-BVs, TVs, and Ravens.

Predictions:
Sunny and hot
Report submitted by Kris Newcomb ()
Harvey's Knob information may be found at:
http://bijame.googlepages.com/home

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=482