Date: 9/28/19 5:57 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (28 Sep 2019) 95 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 95 29110 29110

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Donny Moore, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Paul Gosselin

Visitors:
Thank you to our many visitors who came by today. It was also great to
share our passion with a group of University of Windsor Ornithology
students. Thanks to all the help from Jeanette and Robert Davidson, Noel
and Juliette with Adam, Britney and Derek, Steve, Donna and Mairie, and
Carl and Sharon from Maryland. Thanks particularly to observers Paul and
Donny for their assistance.

Weather:
Generally overcast day with the odd spits of rain with wind starting from
the west, then dramatically strengthening and changing to the north mid
afternoon. Temperature started out at about 20 degC and dropped to 18 degC
when the wind changed

Raptor Observations:
It was another Falcon day on the tower although lower numbers than
yesterday. We counted all 3 species; American Kestrels (20), Merlin (3) and
Peregrine Falcons (2). The morning was again busier than the afternoon, we
also counted Sharp-shinned hawks (64) and Northern Harriers (4)

Non-raptor Observations:
Another slower day for non-raptor species, but lunchtime was enlivened by a
mixed flock of 6 warbler species including Blackpoll, Bay breasted,
Nashville and Black Throated Green. Waterfowl numbers were down with the
start of the shooting season, but 3 Ringed Necked Ducks were a surprise.
Blue Jays continued migration in bigger numbers with more flocks. Good
numbers of Chimney swifts (48) flew over together with a small surge in
Purple Martins (49). Today's Blue Jay total was 1,664 birds. A notable
omission today were Cedar Waxwings.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60192693

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting sun and cloud with lower temperatures. The winds
are expected to blow from the north east in the morning, changing to east
in the afternoon. Hopefully the northern component will bring more raptors
to us in the morning.
Report submitted by Hugh Kent (<Hughnkent...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5b2c3cca28687ac1011a0471c636f7b7...>