Date: 9/27/19 8:51 pm
From: barb22030--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Chincoteague, sick ibis, and more
It seemed like an egret convention at Chincoteague Thursday.  Besides great egrets and snowy egrets, I also saw oystercatchers, gobs of white ibises huddled around the wild ponies & more.  My pix (temporarily) here:  https://www.flickr.com/gp/olympusbjs/p5f0s0     But one disconcerting sighting: a juvenile white ibis that had what appeared to be an injured foot with a big lesion on it.  I shot several photos. The bird seemed okay otherwise.  Managed to walk, fish, fly, etc. Mentioning it in the off chance it's related to the pythiosis or "swamp cancer" that killed some ponies in case any readers are experts on the subject.
- Barb, Fairfax