Date: 9/27/19 7:19 pm
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Carmel River
I birded upstream from the Highway 1 bridge this morning. It was quite birdy, and I managed to find a some of the rarities that have been reported there lately. About 1/4 mile up I found a RED-EYED VIREO. Coming back down I found the same, or perhaps another, about 100 yards above the bridge. A little less than a 1/2 mile up a CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER appeared. It seems to have been working its way upstream as I encountered it again twice in the next 150 yards. At just about a 1/2 mile up, near where a tall orange pole rises above the north bank, a dull bedraggled finch was feeding in the stream bed. Going over my photos, it proves to be the young PAINTED BUNTING.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek