Date: 9/27/19 2:49 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (27 Sep 2019) 189 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 189 29015 29015

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to our many visitors who came by today.
Thank you to Linda and Ron, Kevin Telford, John and Stan, Margaret and
Julius from Kingsville, Jeff and Debbie from Sudbury, Carly and Jacob,
Brianna Fenn and Dean Nixon, Noel and Juliette and Shawn Brown for all
their help.
Thanks to Chip and Tim from the hawk banding station for bringing up a
Merlin, a Kestrel, a Peregrine, a Harrier and a Red-tail for adoption. We
wish the raptors well on their migration!

Weather:
We a nice day on the tower with temperatures around the 20 degrees Celsius,
a mix of sun and cloud and light winds from the South. Around 3 o'clock, we
heard thunder and got down from the tower.

Raptor Observations:
It was Falcon Friday on the tower today! We counted all 3 species; American
Kestrels (51), Merlin(9) and Peregrine Falcons (5). The morning was much
busier than the afternoon as we also counted Sharp-shinned hawks (44) and
Northern Harriers, including two beautiful gray ghost males.

Non-raptor Observations:
Another slower day for non-raptor species, but our highlights included an
Eastern Meadowlark, Black-bellied Plovers Indigo Buntings, and two Snow
Geese!
We also counted a lot of waterfowl on the marsh including Mallards,
Widgeons, Blue-winged Teal, and Wood Ducks.

Blue Jays have finally started to migrated in big numbers! Today's Blue Jay
total was 1,161 birds.

Mallards: 438
Widgeon:76
Blue-winged Teal: 12
Green-winged teal: 2
American Coots: 293
Blue Jays: 1,161

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60159169

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting rain and risk of thunderstorm for the majority
of the day. The winds are expected to blow from the West in the morning,
but have a northern component in the afternoon. Hopefully the rain will let
up early and we'll count more falcons and Northern Harriers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<0059c6bb198b0de1483e208446ada932...>