Date: 9/27/19 2:22 pm
Subject: Good birding at "The Orchard at Altapass" this morning
I birded both the BRP above the Orchard and the lower, gravel Orchard Road
between 7:30 and 9am this morning. Walking south from the parking lot above
the Orchard I saw
the following Warblers:
1. Magnolia (4)
2. Tennessee (3)
3. American Redstart (2)
4. Black-throated Green (3)
5. Chestnut-sided (6)
6. Blackburnian {3)
7. Bay-breasted (5)
8. Blue-winged (1)
9. Yellow-rumped (2) first of Fall for me.
Also had good looks at a Philadelphia Vireo there as well as Tanagers, etc.

On the gravel Orchard road I saw many Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and many
Tennessee Warblers, Song and field Sparrows which are to be expected due to
more open environment
with Pokeweed, etc.However, I also saw three more Vireo species there -
Red-eyed. Blue-headed and Yellow-throated - making it a four Vireo morning.
I could not relocate the
Nashville Warbler which I saw there yesterday and no Black and Whites that
I was able to get on.

I witnessed what appeared to be a Rat being chased by a bird out of tall
weed cover. Couldn't get a good look at the bird but it was smaller than
the Brown Thrasher I saw close by.

That was not the end of the birding enjoyment today because I later saw six
Warbler species at the cabin. Three were new ones for the day -
Black-throated Blue, Ovenbird and Cape
May, making 12 Warbler species today.. Migration is still on!

Join us on Facebook!