Date: 9/26/19 12:14 pm
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Possible Wilson's Plover at Sandy Point S.P. on Sept 26
Birds of North America online lists the following:

Wilson's Plover
Medium-sized ringed plover of coastal habitats (overall length 165–200 mm, wing length 111–128 mm, mass about 55–70 g).

Semipalmated Plover
Small plover (length 170–190 mm; mass about 47 g).

Killdeer
Medium-sized plover (200–280 mm long)

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Thursday, September 26, 2019, 3:09:38 PM EDT, Jim Wilkinson <lakekoshare...> wrote:

I saw a larger plover at Sandy Point  that looked like a Wilson's.  The time was around 11:00 AM and location was the East Beach. I was watching the beach when a fairly big plover flew onto the beach. I thought it was a Killdeer until I put my binocs onto it and saw the bird had a single breast band.  It also had a  fairly thick all black bill and dull yellow legs.  By the time I got my camera out though, a beachcomber flushed the bird and it was flying off towards the Bay Bridge. When flushed it gave a few calls that were unlike a Semipalmated or Killdeer but more like the "queet" described in Sibley.  I note there is a Wilson's being seen in Massachusetts the last few days. Unfortunately, my last experience with this species was in the late 1980s in Florida.

Jim Wilkinson
Columbia, MD