Date: 9/26/19 12:09 pm
From: Jim Wilkinson <lakekoshare...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Possible Wilson's Plover at Sandy Point S.P. on Sept 26
I saw a larger plover at Sandy Point that looked like a Wilson's. The
time was around 11:00 AM and location was the East Beach. I was watching
the beach when a fairly big plover flew onto the beach. I thought it was a
Killdeer until I put my binocs onto it and saw the bird had a single breast
band. It also had a fairly thick all black bill and dull yellow legs. By
the time I got my camera out though, a beachcomber flushed the bird and it
was flying off towards the Bay Bridge. When flushed it gave a few calls
that were unlike a Semipalmated or Killdeer but more like the "queet"
described in Sibley. I note there is a Wilson's being seen in
Massachusetts the last few days. Unfortunately, my last experience with
this species was in the late 1980s in Florida.

Jim Wilkinson
Columbia, MD