Date: 9/25/19 9:58 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Sep 2019) 74 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (18): Bob Suter, Elaine Kirk, Dale Kendall, Karen Satterthwaite,
Debby Kern, Nancy & Bob Shipman, Mark Swick, Barbara Grove, Adam Bartles,
Howard Campbell, Beaty Broughton, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Jerry Jeffers, Kelley
Nunn, Hannah Greenberg, Dirk Robinson
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (10-0% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 57 - 79F, Winds West @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (72) and Turkey Vultures (74).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Dale and a large gang from Crosslands were out early this morning, Bob even
making the warbler walk where we saw Bay-breasted Warblers [FIVE of this
seldom seen warbler!], Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Green Warblers,
Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, American Redstarts, and a Philadelphia
Vireo.
<BR><BR>
Dale and Debby each had a donation of seed. Howard was along, but without
a donation of seed this time. Well, he didn’t see “his Eagle,: either!
Our birds thank you sweethearts for the gift of seed! Barbara mentioned
that she really enjoys reading “the blog,” even while she relished in
the fact that she had neglected to bring me food, knowing full-well that
gifts of food and drink are not only welcomed, but encouraged here at
Bucktoe! Some people! Elaine made it out, as did her “naughty” sister
[Elaine’s words], Deb. Kelley and Hannah showed up; Hannah without her
binoculars AGAIN!
“Binoculars are for rookies,” she states, while going on to prove it by
sighting birds passing overhead in the stratosphere. Hannah, while not
discussing her VERY obvious weight gain from the fine food consumed in VAST
quantities on their recent Montreal trip said, “Hey Kel, who dat?”
Rising from her seat, she pointed towards the sky. Translation for those
encumbered / handicapped by proper English: “Hey Kelley, what is that
hawk flying in that cloud?” It was a Broad-winged Hawk. As I just said,
the girls have just returned from Canada, and heavily laden with Canadian
beer [OK, Hannah was “heavily laden”]. [How could SHE pass thru
customs? She did - I worry about “homeland security.”] To curb the
increased consumption of alcoholic beverages not made in the United States,
our “fearless leader” will no doubt have a wall built around Hannah and
have Molson pay for it. [Gotcha both!] Dirk was last to arrive and as
only Dirk can do. Dirk always shows up antsy to be somewhere else, so he
can quickly return again. What’s THAT about, my friend? A suggestion:
Why not just go somewhere else to begin with? You’ll save both time and
gas, while saving me angst and lowering my blood pressure! [you’ve been
blogged, Dirk] Did one of you fine people forget a shirt? I want you to
make sure you get it back [Besides, it’s too small, doesn’t fit and
it’s not my color, I fancy myself an “autumn’]
<BR><BR>
Hawks? Oh, that’s right – that’s the reason we’re out here, right?
Well, we saw some, but it remained singles or just a few at a time. I’m
beginning to fear that the Broad-winged Hawks took mostly to another route
this season – perhaps the ridges.
<BR><BR>
There was a White-crowned Sparrow – the first of the fall – before I
arrived [BS – his initials, not a commentary on the report! –lol] The
same warblers we saw here today were seen at nearby Ashland, and in the
same unusually high numbers. [DR]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Philadelphia Vireo, Brown Thrashers, White-crowned Sparrow, Bobolinks,
American Redstarts, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, Bay-breasted
Warblers, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Green Warblers, Scarlet
Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 44, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Cloudless Sulphur, Zabulon Skipper.
Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.45; Steps:
12,790; Floors: 48.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 60; this season:
107
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a good array of background clouds developing
and winds shifting from the northwest during the day.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek