Date: 9/25/19 8:06 pm
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Strange bird behavior

Agreed on the weirdness of the weather Penny.  For every plus, there’s a minus somewhere in the real world.  As they say...you really CAN’T fool Mother Nature!  Take care and keep the observations coming.  It’s all that keeps us grounded in reality.  Fred

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:54 PM -0400, "'P. swanson' via Birders" <birders...> wrote:

Hi Fred. I think food is scarce for all wild animals this year due to the weather making certain plants unable to grow.  Maybe the rock doves were after dragon flies but they all flew to the same spot. Desperation changes a lot of behaviors. Squirrels are missing their acorns for the second year in a row due to poor acorn production;  also scarce horse chestnut production. Everybody seems to be scrounging. No blue jays until recently, only 1 or 2 turkey vultures where we used to have lots more; less great blue herons  and no great egrets or green herons here at all this year so far.And yes we do have very large predator fish that go after the ducks. Penny
On Sep 25, 2019, at 8:30 PM, Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...> wrote:

Whatever they were after must have been worth the risk!  Let us know if you figure it out. This time of year I see giant Mantids (non-native) and those Brown Marmorated Stinkbugs (also non-native) starting to come around again.  I also never thought of Rock Doves as big insect eaters ‘tho.  Who knows...Maybe they've got a taste for Mullet or Goby chased to the surface by other predators?

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<D5BFF73E-FC06-4BEA-9F39-17D4D020F2FD...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<BB66FB94-E2B7-4367-89B3-895056C28E36...>