Date: 9/25/19 11:21 am
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Rare Birds on MBB
Hi Clay,
I recently took over admin duties for MBBIRDS, mostly because Todd is not
active any more. It is NOT my intention to be responsible for MBBIRDS in
perpetuity, this job will be the responsibility of an officer of the Bird
Club.

That being said I have the following responses.

a) MBBIRDS does not exist solely for reporting rarities. In the past a lot
of contributions were of a more general nature - reporting FOS arrivals,
reporting local interesting (but not necessarily rarity) sightings, trip
reports etc. etc. This kind of post has declined a lot sadly, I would
encourage all local birders to contribute to the group in this way whenever
they wish to.
b) It is true that the level of reporting from Monterey is lower than other
counties, which is very disappointing. In the past there was a disparity
between Monterey and Santa Cruz where Monterey birders used the telephone
based reporting system more than MBBIRDS and Santa Cruz birders did the
opposite. With the closure of the phone reporting system all that is left
for Monterey is this listserve and ebird.

I would ask Central Coast birders these questions:
a) do they want to see a copy of the ebird reports on MBBIRDS?
b) If so, for which counties, and at what intervals?

Bear in mind that any individual may sign up for these reports themselves.
These reports can be hourly or daily. Note also that these reports from
ebird can often be erroneous unless they are flagged as "CONFIRMED".

Regards,
Phil Brown