Date: 9/25/19 1:23 am
Subject: Re: 3 Billion birds gone
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I have developed the habit
of posting a picture most days to Facebook with some sort of inspirational
quote. This quote seems fitting:

“The ultimate test of man’s conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice
something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be
heard.” - Gaylord Nelson

There are things we can do and we will all need to do our part. I'm
grateful that I'm not alone in that thinking.

#3billionbirds #bringbirdsback

Judi Sawyer

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019, 11:10 AM Scott Hartley <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Iwould agree with Betsy. No one can do everything but we all can do one
> thing.
> Bird wise I was visiting a friend in NC near Todd and had a pretty good
> mixed flick of migrants lots of Tennessee warblers and quite a few
> blackpoll/baybreasted/pine.
>
> Hope you all enjoy your week and that this dry weather breaks soon!
>
> Take care.
>
> Scott Hartley
> Myrtle Beach, SC
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019, 8:58 AM Betsy Kane <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
>> Gary, Parkin, and others:
>>
>> We definitely don't have till 2050. About a year ago, scientists
>> confirmed we had about 12 years to take massive action to address global
>> warming to avoid much of the planet becoming incapable of sustaining human
>> settlement, not to mention anything like normal ecosystems.
>>
>> We're looking at the entire Greenland ice sheet melting -- ice up to a
>> mile thick that, by itself, melted, will raise sea level multiple feet.
>> We're looking at refugee migrations of tens to hundreds of millions of
>> people.
>>
>> Bill McKibben said last Thursday evening (at his well-attended lecture at
>> East Carolina University) that "If you think the migration of a few hundred
>> thousand Central American refugees to the US southern border caused
>> political upheaval, imagine what 100 million climate refugees on the move
>> will do."
>>
>> He said, "The question is not whether we are headed to hell, the question
>> is, how hot will that hell be."
>>
>> What we do THIS YEAR -- and for the next year after that, and the year
>> after that, until we reach a point of certain feedback mechanisms being
>> triggered that we don't yet understand very well, but they overwhelmingly
>> do not act in our favor -- determines how hot our planet will get.
>>
>> It is not hopeless. Every one of us can act.
>>
>> It's also not a binary thing -- what we do next determines a range of
>> outcomes, from really bad to very bad.
>>
>> I know these words are mostly "preaching to the choir". There is value
>> in the choir singing heartily.
>>
>> Some recent research on political change concludes that only 3 percent or
>> so of people are necessary to create sufficient resistance action to topple
>> apparently hard-fixed political regimes.
>>
>> Food for thought. Enjoy your birding day.
>>
>> Betsy Kane
>> Washington, N.C.
>> elevation 10'

>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:39 AM Laura Ratchford <carolinabirds...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Great post, Gary. Thank you.

Join us on Facebook!