Date: 9/24/19 7:19 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Cascades Gateway Park and Illahee Hills CC Bird Walks Summary
*CASCADES GATEWAY PARK AND ILLAHE HILL CC BIRD WALKS SUMMARY*

*September 23, 2019*

Hello Birders:

I combined the two bird walks that occurred on Monday morning so there
would only be one email. Note: Illahe Hills CC is a restricted access
location so please respect their privacy. Do not enter premises without
prior permission.

Yesterday morning, we had two bird walks occurring almost simultaneously.
Fred led our SAS Shorts bird walk at Cascades Gateway Park while Paul and
Kassi led the Illahe Hills CC bird walk. Three other birders joined Fred
for the Cascades Gateway Park walk. Fourteen birders joined Paul and Kassi
for the Illahe Hills CC bird walk. The walks took place under partly
cloudy skies with temperatures ranging from 53 to 63 degrees. At Cascades
Gateway Park they walked around Walter Wirth Lake which was about a
one-mile walk. They observed (saw or heard) 31 species. There were 40
species observed during the Illahe Hills CC walk which entailed walking
around the edges of the golf course for about three miles.

The best sighting at Cascades Gateway Park was a Green Heron. There were a
couple of nice sightings at Illahe Hills CC including a Barred Owl and
female Ring-necked Pheasant. Two complete lists of the day's birds
follow.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

Our next SAS bird walk will be on *Tuesday, October 1st* at *Minto-Brown
Island Park*. Meet at 8*:00 AM (note time change!)* at Parking Lot # 3.
Please join us if you can.

*Note:* We also have *“The Sex Life of Birds”** Workshop* on
*Saturday,* *October
5th at 10:00 AM*. The workshop will be held at the Oregon Department of
Fish & Wildlife, 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr S in Salem. The cost is only
$10.00 per person. Walk-ins welcome!

*Cascades Gateway Park on September 23, 2019*

*Number of Species: 31*

20 Cackling Goose
29 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
6 American Wigeon