Date: 9/24/19 7:04 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Sep 2019) 69 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (14): Kelley Nunn, Evelyn & Mike Fowles, Jerry Jeffers, Armas
Hill, Sue McLaughlin, Don & Sue Manuel, Mary Behal, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Norm
Lincoln, Beaty Broughton, Dirk Robinson
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Cloudy (10-25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 24,900-30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 64 - 78F, Winds WNW @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (65).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
It was an early start at Bucktoe with a walk to “Warbler Meadows.” As
I arrived, a surprise greeted me. There were already two Broad-winged
Hawks in the air at 6:45am! Kinda puts my 10am liftoff time in dispute,
doesn’t it? I joined Dirk and Norm and our walk yielded Black-and-white
Warbler, Tennessee Warblers, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Magnolia
Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blackpoll Warblers, and Palm Warblers.
<BR><BR>
Many people arrived at the hawk watch anxious for an anticipated large
flight. What we got was some Broad-wings, and a nice variety of hawks –
our best of the season, but no large numbers.
<BR><BR>
Deb supplied our thankful counter a nice tuna wrap for lunch and Jerry
cooked a steak for dinner. Thanks guys!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfisher, COMMON RAVENS, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warbler,
Tennessee Warblers, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers,
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blackpoll Warblers, Palm Warblers, and Blue
Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 25, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.99; Steps:
11,714; Floors: 18.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season:
106
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks sunny with light westerly winds. OK, if we can
see them in the bright blue sky.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: