Date: 9/24/19 6:13 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] PAICINES RESERVOIR: WHITE-FACED IBIS
Howdy, MBB Birders,

There’s been quite a bit of birding around San Benito County lately, what with the bird festival and pelagic trips.

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was found at Paicines Reservoir and was still present as of yesterday, September 23 when I was there. Ibis can be a tough bird to find in San Benito County. About 40 Great Egrets, as well as a number of Great Blue Herons and a few Snowy Egrets are also present. I’m guessing that they could be gorging on the thousands of Western toads that showed up earlier this summer. WHITE PELICANS are also present.

On September 21, Mike Parr, President of the American Bird Conservancy, found an EASTERN KINGBIRD at Paicines Reservoir. This represents only the second county record for this species. It did not stick around— even until the end of the day.

Daniel George and I looked for the Eastern Kingbird on Sunday, September 22, after the pelagic trip, but failed to find it. We did find a couple of CASSIN’S KINGBIRDS, and a WILLOW FLYCATCHER.

The Paicines Reservoir sits on private property, Paicines Ranch. Birding can be done from the Highway 25 pullout. Do not cross any fences as doing so would be trespassing on the ranch. The ranch manager is aware of the kingbird.

Along Santa Ana Valley Road, the CASSIN’S KINGBIRDS continue. Three FERRUGINOUS HAWKS have arrived for the winter. The BALD EAGLE pair, Bob & Bernadette, are at their usual winter station, as are the GOLDEN EAGLE pair, Iolair & Aileen.

The usual fall migrants and winter arrivals are taking place throughout the county.

Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020