Date: 9/24/19 6:06 pm
From: 'Suzanne (Moses) Vedder' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] NON BIRD: snake ID
Researching MI snakes a bit further, I concluded that my visitor is a Northern Water Snake. I must be correct, because all of the responses I received suggested the same. ūüėČ Its odd... I am a good 400 yds up a steep incline from the lake, and the snake was on my cement porch in the shade. It was very docile. I didn't try to pick it up, though. I can add it to my MI snake list!
Suzanne

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:40 PM, Janet Hinshaw<jhinshaw...> wrote: Banded water snake.
Janet Hinshaw, Librarian                          ph: 734-764-0457Wilson Ornithological Society                   fax: 734-998-0038University of Michigan Museum of ZoologyResearch Museums Center3600 Varsity DriveAnn Arbor, MI 48108-2228 USA https://wilsonsociety.org/

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 7:46 PM 'Suzanne (Moses) Vedder' via Birders <birders...> wrote:

This visitor was on my porch step when I got home today.

At first I thought this was a Milk Snake, but it doesn't seem right. Its head shape is different, and eyes seem almost on the head, not in the head. It's about 2 feet long. I thought maybe a Black Rat Snake, but I don't know. Any snake experts out there?
Suzanne in Big Rapids

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<855669087.8304222.1569368730098...>