Date: 9/24/19 4:17 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (24 Sep 2019) 459 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 459 27829 27829

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Dan Lumm, Dave Martin, Ed Pitts, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent,
Rick Brown

Visitors:
Thank you to all of our visitors today including Rick Brown, Greg, Dave and
Linda Martin, Dan Lumm and his sisters Paula and Yvonne, Ed Pitts, Dan and
Diane Farmers and the University of Windsor Plant Ecology group. Thank you
all for your eyes on the tower.

Weather:
Another beautiful day on the tower, with temperatures in the mid 20s
degrees Celsius and varying cloud cover throughout the day. The winds were
expected to blow West all day, but changed to blow softly from the
South-West.

Raptor Observations:
The South-Western winds did not stop Sharp-shinned Hawks from migrating
with a daily count of 321 Sharp-shinned Hawks! We counted a variety of
raptors including 66 Kestrel, 31 Turkey Vultures, 18 Broad-winged Hawks, 8
Northern Harriers and 4 Merlins.

Non-raptor Observations:
A few daily highlights today including our first Ruby-crowned Kinglet and 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.
Today we counted many species and high numbers of birds.
We are counted a lot of waterfowl on the marsh, including Coots, Mallards,
Wood ducks, Gadwalls, Shoverlers, and Widgeon.
We are seeing more Blue Jays slowly migrating over the marsh, still waiting
a big movement.
Black Saddlebag dragonflies and Monarchs were active today, flying high
above the tower.

American Widgeon: 142
American Coot: 170
Chimney Swift: 5
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: 2
Norther Flicker: 17
Blue Jay: 57
Cedar Waxwing: 175
American Goldfinch: 195
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet: 1
Palm Warbler: 1
Wilson Warbler: 5
Black Saddlebags: 103
Monarch: 82

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60090052

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another beautiful and warm day on the tower! The
winds are expected to blow from the South-West all day. Hopefully the
Sharp-shinned Hawks will keep migrating towards us. I challenge them to
beat today's numbers!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<33048c5139b934ce96e4f4f87bcf3fb0...>