Date: 9/24/19 11:23 am
From: Lena Gallitano <lbg...>
Subject: Re: 3 Billion birds gone - next steps?
Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful suggestions on steps we can all
take for birds at home and in our communities.

I'd like to go back to Derb Carter's email of last week in which he
brought to our attention what single voices from the past have
accomplished using Rachel Carson and others as examples.  I agree with
Derb that some of our most important environmental challenges started
with single voices and ended with powerful and important changes.  Now
we have another single voice that is challenging the world to do something.

Greta Thunberg has given every person in the world a challenge and, in
my opinion, has opened the door to every elected official from top to
bottom for a conversation about climate change and the loss of birds
that we all care about.  I believe birds and climate change are
intricately woven together and I know that all of our actions help them
in our small universes.  However, I think many of us are missing the
opportunity to help move the needle where it can have a huge impact - at
the government level, top to bottom.

From past experience here in North Carolina, we can look at issues
related specifically to the protection of birds and their habitats.
When the time comes for public comment and input, birders are often
poorly represented in speaking up for the birds.  Birds, the climate and
the environment are pretty much non-political issues based on science.
With these thoughts, I'd like to challenge everyone to speak up for the
birds.   How about one call or email every week to a legislator?

Along with all of you, I'm lamenting the loss, even in my own backyard,
at the number of species and birds when I compare years of Project
Feeder Watch.  But I also know the hand-wringing and thought that
"someone needs to do something" isn't working and that I need to
redouble my efforts to speak up for the birds that enrich my life.

It's very easy to sign on to action alerts, call a legislative office or
send an email.  I can make a list of some I use if you want to contact
me directly.  Will you join me and speak to your elected officials on
behalf of the birds?

From the window this morning:  2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 5
Baltimore Orioles and 2 Chimney Swifts flying above.

Kind regards and happy birding,

Lena Gallitano
Raleigh, NC

*
*

*“IF YOU TAKE CARE OF BIRDS, YOU TAKE CARE OF MOST OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL
PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD.”*

/–Dr. Thomas Lovejoy/

On 9/24/2019 10:59 AM, Scott Hartley (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:

> Iwould agree with Betsy. No one can do everything but we all can do
> one thing.
> Bird wise I was visiting a friend in NC near Todd and had a pretty
> good mixed flick of migrants lots of Tennessee warblers and quite a
> few blackpoll/baybreasted/pine.
>
> Hope you all enjoy your week and that this dry weather breaks soon!
>
> Take care.
>
> Scott Hartley
> Myrtle Beach, SC
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019, 8:58 AM Betsy Kane <carolinabirds...>
> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
>
> Gary, Parkin, and others:
>
> We definitely don't have till 2050.  About a year ago, scientists
> confirmed we had about 12 years to take massive action to address
> global warming to avoid much of the planet becoming incapable of
> sustaining human settlement, not to mention anything like normal
> ecosystems.
>
> We're looking at the entire Greenland ice sheet melting -- ice up
> to a mile thick that, by itself, melted, will raise sea level
> multiple feet.  We're looking at refugee migrations of tens to
> hundreds of millions of people.
>
> Bill McKibben said last Thursday evening (at his well-attended
> lecture at East Carolina University) that "If you think the
> migration of a few hundred thousand Central American refugees to
> the US southern border caused political upheaval, imagine what
>  100 million climate refugees on the move will do."
>
> He said, "The question is not whether we are headed to hell, the
> question is, how hot will that hell be."
>
> What we do THIS YEAR -- and for the next year after that, and the
> year after that, until we reach a point of certain feedback
> mechanisms being triggered that we don't yet understand very well,
> but they overwhelmingly do not act in our favor -- determines how
> hot our planet will get.
>
> It is not hopeless.  Every one of us can act.
>
> It's also not a binary thing -- what we do next determines a range
> of outcomes, from really bad to very bad.
>
> I know these words are mostly "preaching to the choir".  There is
> value in the choir singing heartily.
>
> Some recent research on political change concludes that only 3
> percent or so of people are necessary to create sufficient
> resistance action to topple apparently hard-fixed political regimes.
>
> Food for thought.  Enjoy your birding day.
>
> Betsy Kane
> Washington, N.C.
> elevation 10'

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:39 AM Laura Ratchford
> <carolinabirds...> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
>
> Great post, Gary.  Thank you.
>
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:33 AM Gary Harbour
> <gharbour...> <mailto:<gharbour...>> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> Parkin is right.  The micro stuff is stuff we can do,
> should do, and will make a difference. But the big picture
> is what the science tells us. Today habitats are moving
> north at 15ft/day.  If we don’t figure out a way to go
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!