Date: 9/24/19 5:58 am
Subject: Re: 3 Billion birds gone
Gary, Parkin, and others:

We definitely don't have till 2050. About a year ago, scientists confirmed
we had about 12 years to take massive action to address global warming to
avoid much of the planet becoming incapable of sustaining human settlement,
not to mention anything like normal ecosystems.

We're looking at the entire Greenland ice sheet melting -- ice up to a mile
thick that, by itself, melted, will raise sea level multiple feet. We're
looking at refugee migrations of tens to hundreds of millions of people.

Bill McKibben said last Thursday evening (at his well-attended lecture at
East Carolina University) that "If you think the migration of a few hundred
thousand Central American refugees to the US southern border caused
political upheaval, imagine what 100 million climate refugees on the move
will do."

He said, "The question is not whether we are headed to hell, the question
is, how hot will that hell be."

What we do THIS YEAR -- and for the next year after that, and the year
after that, until we reach a point of certain feedback mechanisms being
triggered that we don't yet understand very well, but they overwhelmingly
do not act in our favor -- determines how hot our planet will get.

It is not hopeless. Every one of us can act.

It's also not a binary thing -- what we do next determines a range of
outcomes, from really bad to very bad.

I know these words are mostly "preaching to the choir". There is value in
the choir singing heartily.

Some recent research on political change concludes that only 3 percent or
so of people are necessary to create sufficient resistance action to topple
apparently hard-fixed political regimes.

Food for thought. Enjoy your birding day.

Betsy Kane
Washington, N.C.
elevation 10'

Join us on Facebook!