Date: 9/23/19 8:46 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 Sep 2019) 34 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 34 757 764

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Dee Stevens, Dirk Robinson, Susan Beach

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Susan Beach, Dee Stevens, Beaty Broughton, Dirk Robinson
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (25-50% cloud cover), Ceiling --30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 68 - 89F, Winds SSW @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (71) and Turkey Vultures (65).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Today is to be a transitional day with clouds slowly building towards a
rainy night and an overnight cold front, with tomorrow’s temps only
reaching 78 with light winds. It’s like I’ve been saying all
along…TUESDAY will be the day of our big flight of Broad-wings! What’s
wrong with all YOU people showing up yesterday?? [lol]
<BR><BR>
I wandered thru “Warbler Meadow” this morning, finding it totally DEAD.
Not a single migrant was noticed. Those of you who think I always get
birds, kindly take note. I got not a thing! Perhaps they left making room
for an influx of fresh birds with tomorrow’s front. I sure hope so.
Back up the hill to the Hawk Watch, I found the vultures and accipiters
lifting off early today – well before 10am, but the day passed
uneventfully. There was a slow rush of a nice variety of raptors late in
the day to include Harriers, Osprey, and Broad-wings, the only ones of the
day. They came in low and may have spent the night in the area, hopefully
leading to a bit of a liftoff tomorrow morning. .
<BR><BR>
Dee and Susan, longtime friends, were out early to enjoy the day. It was
so nice chatting Susan, about old times, such as I can remember them.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Yellow-billed Cuckoos, COMMON RAVEN, Bobolinks, and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 70, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Cloudless Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(1): Box Turtle. Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.7; Steps:
13,381; Floors: 124.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season:
104
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a cooler day with background clouds and
fairly strong northwest winds. Could be good!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek