Date: 9/23/19 8:08 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fox Sparrow vocalizations help
The calls sound like a Slate-colored to my ear. They sound like the noise
one of those Audubon squeak tools. The Thick-billed sounds clearer and
more of a chink, I do hear a few of those sounds from this bird. In any
case, I am in the Slate-colored camp despite the sparse streaking on the
close up shot.

Bob Archer
PDX

.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:00 PM Nancy Stotz <nstotznew...> wrote:

> On a recent trip to eastern OR, we encountered a dozen Fox Sparrows
> (Thick-billed or Slate-colored types) in a big old burn on the hike up to
> Twin Pillars (Ochoco Natl Forest, Crook County). I got decent photos of 2
> of the birds, and I also managed to record videos (with audio) of one of
> those birds vocalizing. I know you're supposed to be able to identify the 2
> types based on vocals, but I'm not really sure what I'm listening for (or
> if I even got the pertinent call type recorded in the videos I shot). I'd
> appreciate any educational feedback folks might have, based on the photos
> and videos posted to eBird (photos only) and Flicker (photos and video). In
> the first video, the bird is never in focus, but it does come into focus in
> the second, where it also switches from calls to song.
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60063744
> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHeYGok
> If anybody has any comments on the sapsucker I called a Red-naped (less
> than ideal photos in eBird checklist too) that would be appreciated as well.
> Thanks--
> Nancy Stotz

Join us on Facebook!