Date: 9/23/19 7:06 pm
From: TURNER <redknot...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Stone Bridge Nighthawk Watch
Observers enjoyed another solid day of Caprimulgid viewing with 155 nighthawks being tallied. Many birds at medium to low elevations; two more tailless birds were observed.

Relating to this taillessness, the BNA account for this species suggests the bird undergoes its definitive basic molt, which is a complete molt, on its wintering grounds. This would indicate no molting during migration; thus our observations of several tailless birds suggests some other reason for the loss of all the tail feathers, such as attempted predation, or that the account is wrong, at least as it relates to the remiges.

Anyone with more information or has thoughts about the tailless birds we're seeing can reach me off-line at <redknot...> mailto:<redknot...>

John Turner

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/