Date: 9/23/19 4:56 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (23 Sep 2019) 398 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 398 27370 27370

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Bob Hall-Brooks, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Kitty Bradshaw and Gail Walker from Woodstock ON for their
visit and their good eyes on the tower. We were also visited by a couple
from Germany touring great birding spots in Ontario and Elise and Louis
from Parry Sound also visiting birding sites in Ontario. Thanks to Michelle
and Bob Hall-Brooks that took time to come count during one of our busiest
hour. Thank you for stopping by!

Weather:
A gorgeous day for us on the tower, temperatures were hot but we welcomed a
good cloud cover and strong 20 km/h winds from the West all day.

Raptor Observations:
A successful day for us as we counted 398 raptors. We had some variety but
the raptor that took the cake was the American Kestrel, with a daily count
of 260! In second place we had Sharp-shinned hawks with a daily total of
101. Most birds had some difficulty flying straight into the strong winds,
but most of flew just above the tower, giving us the chance to get a good
look. We also counted a few Merlins and Peregrine falcons in the mix. We
had a good day, hoping for more where that came from!

Non-raptor Observations:
Today's non-raptor highlight came from a Palm Warbler! Not many other
warblers to be seen in the trees except for two Redstarts in the afternoon.
We were also excited to count 25 Chimney Swifts, always a pleasure to see
them flying!
Duck diversity is increasing in the marsh with Widgeons, Gadwalls and
Shoverlers. We also counted many American Goldfinches flying above us and a
few more Tree Swallows.

Chimney Swift: 25
American Goldfinch: 110
Blue Jays: 28
American Crow: 32
Northern Flicker: 7
Cedar Waxwing: 38
Black Saddlebags: 11
Monarchs: 21

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60064323

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting very similar weather as today; warm day with
strong winds from the West. Hopefully, it will be just as, if not more
successful! Hoping for more Kestrels, Merlins and Sharp-shinned Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<679edf95a31a9ad544102b6f043c5c6c...>