Date: 9/23/19 2:52 pm
From: Ron & Amy Burkert <raburkert...>
Subject: Re: Some more info on Avocets Allegheny Co.
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up.

Got to see and photograph the avocets from about 3:00 until I left at 4:39. Saw Joe Papp and Leslie Ferree. They would float downriver (North in this case) to about the RR bridge and then fly (relocate) S to about the Island Boat Club and start floating again. They relocated twice while I was there. Didn’t see them flying because I was relocating both times. The best viewing was from a river access trail just across from the Bike Trail Parking Lot off of Preble Ave. (next to Duquesne Light). Sit on the sewer outflow concrete block and let them float by. ;)

Closer estimate, until I can count them in a photo, was 70-80 blue-winged teal.

Ron Burkert
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 23, 2019, at 11:40 AM, Robert Mulvihill <robert.mulvihill...> wrote:
>
> Captain Ryan sent me these details of his recent American Avocet sighting:
>
> Latitude: 40.4631
>
> Longitude: -80.0383
>
> Time: 10:50am
>
> Count: 10
>

> Robert S. Mulvihill
> Ornithologist
> National Aviary
> 700 Arch Street
> Pittsburgh, PA 15212
> 412-258-1148
> <Robert.mulvihill...> <Robert.mulvihill...>
> *The National Aviary <http://www.aviary.org> works to inspire respect for
> nature *
> *through an appreciation of birds.*
>
> "*It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice*."
> --sign over the work table of a carpenter named Jeno, who was a master
> cabinet maker at Boswell Lumber in Somerset Co., PA in the 1970s, and who
> unfailingly dropped whatever he was doing to help a young boy turn rough
> drawings of his latest idea for a custom bird feeder or nest box into
> well-fitting pieces that could be assembled into the real thing!

Join us on Facebook!