Date: 9/23/19 1:22 pm
From: <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Whitefronts Migrating
Hi -

Some years the Whitefront fall migration is spread out over several weeks, but other years the bulk of them seem to come in one epic parade. I suspect this happens when a weather event in SW Alaska pushes them out of their staging areas en masse. I have not been following Alaska weather lately, but maybe someone can identify the event (cold front? snowstorm? remnants of a typhoon? or just a strong tailwind?)

The flight from the staging areas to the north Oregon coast is typically about 30 hours nonstop, so if they were first showing up over Portland midday the 22nd, departure was likely early morning on Sept. 21. Most of them come off the ocean and continue down to the Klamath Basin before alighting, but particularly if they encountered unfavorable winds, a scattering of mostly young birds drop out on the Oregon Coast and in the interior valleys, so now would be a good time to watch for them on your local golf course or city park lawn.

Wayne