Date: 9/23/19 12:52 pm
From: ArieGilbert <ArieGilbert...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Birding the Black Dirt Region, Orange County
Trespassing is *against the law*. Adults should know this. Birders or photographers are *not* exempt.
See the following document on proper behavior. Sheesh, does it really need to be posted? Apparently and sadly yes. Yes it does.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxxY2JpcmRjbHVifGd4OjcyZDE1Nzk1MDNjZWM3Yzc
It will not take a lot for the selfish and inconsiderate to ruin it for the rest of us. Dont be one of them!
Arie GilbertNorth Babylon Queens County Bird Club inc.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Peter <pwpost...> Date: 9/23/19 3:22 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Felipe Pimentel <fpimente...> Cc: Robert Lewis <rfermat...>, nys birds <NYSbirds-L...> Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Birding the Black Dirt Region, Orange County
One should never enter the fields on Indiana Road. The last time I was there there were birders from a number of states trampling all of the fields, much to the dismay (right fully so) of the local farmers. So much so that there was talk of putting up a locked entrance gate.
Peter Post

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 23, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Felipe Pimentel <fpimente...> wrote:

There a several private roads but you can enter through Skinner’s lane and drive in the direction of Route 12 and look around for migrating shorebirds (now in early fall). You will pass several sad farms and now there a few “protected” medical cannabis farms
too, and  the area is under surveillance.

https://ebird.org/hotspots?hs=L1276465&yr=all&m=

The other road that is private but birders use is Indiana rd that is good for migrating hawks in Fall.

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1041928

Avoid to enter the crop fields when you see workers and stay on the main dirt roads.

The other place to go is Pine Island Turf Nursery. I suggest NOT to visit that farm during the week since they are working and preparing the fields for winter. I generally go there ONLY during the weekends, when the place is more quiet.

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1041928

Good luck!

Felipe

On Sep 23, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Robert Lewis <rfermat...> wrote:

A few weeks ago I asked here for directions about where to actually go in the Black Dirt region.  One can find many references to birding there online, and there are some ebird spots, but there are many dirt or gravel roads and many seem to be
on private property, and many are obviously not driveable once you see them.  So what is an out-of-the-area birder supposed to do?

I thank Felipe Pimentel who provided directions to the Pine Island Turf farm.

Yesterday I went exploring.  The attached map is the result.  Enter the area at Skinner Lane,
41.320541, -74.435339.  My route is the narrow black line.  I went up Skinner Lane to the northwest until it meets Iris Road, which is called Celery Avenue on my Iphone map app.  Then I turned left and follow Iris a long time.  It is all an excellent
gravel road.  I was surprised to see a bridge over the Wallkill River at
41.325083, -74.466914.  It is certainly driveable.  The maps are wrong in that there is no connection between Iris and
Transport at 41.300798, -74.472080.

As for birds, there were very few.  But in a few months -- let's hope.

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY

Welcome and Basics

Rules and Information