Date: 9/23/19 11:45 am
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Sabine's Gull close to shore
Hi all,

A choppy and foggy pelagic yesterday, but with nice views of a lot of
the regularly occurring species. Arctic Tern numbers were high as they have
been this season, and many Sabine's Gulls. Two Scripp's Murrelets flew off
but we did not have the weather to try and chase them down. Many Parasitic
Jaegers were offshore chasing the terns, with a few Pomarines out there as
well. Friendly Black-footed Albatross were a hit. Shearwaters near shore
were absent, all were out in the canyon, with a few Buller's in the mix. No
Black-vented yet, although we did have the arrival for them on Saturday out
of Morro Bay so they may head north still.

Of particular interest was this juvenile Sabine's Gull very close to
shore (would be visible with scope) as we approached the jetty. It appears
to be eating a California Tortoiseshell butterfly!! Maybe a once in a
lifetime photo.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60044056

good birding,

Alvaro