Date: 9/23/19 9:57 am
From: Marlene A Condon via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [VA-bird] No sighting, literally
I wrote a commentary about birds and other kinds of species that have greatly decreased in number in my own area, which I was going to submit for publication in a newspaper.  Instead, I'm willing to share it with anyone interested in reading it as it confirms--albeit in a different way--this bander's experience as to what's happening in our world (I am very sad to say).
Just send me your request.
Sincerely,Marlene
In a message dated 9/23/2019 2:15:10 AM US Eastern Standard Time, <va-bird...> writes:

Well here's some more bad news after that report about the massive bird loss since the 70s. From the Massachusetts ABA list:

Subject: Birdbanding Saturday September 21Date: Sat Sep 21 2019 12:08 pmFrom: barb620 AT theworld.com

Thanks to Mark Blazis for this report.
I'm shocked as well.

Barbara VolkleNorthborough, <MAbarb620...>
*

From: Mark BlazisSubject: Birdbanding Saturday September 21Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 12:14:06 -0400
For the first time in over 30 years of bird banding fall migration inMassachusetts, I mist-netted zero warblers (Auburn Sportsman�s Clubstation). I find that Shocking, really, for a September morning with aprevious evening of westerly winds.Declining songbird populations, local spraying for EEE, pesticides,diminishing habitat, domestic/feral cat predation, and climate changehave all conspired all too quietly among an uninformed public tonegatively alter not just today�s numbers but, anecdotally, totals at myresearch over the last decade.

Mark
Mark BlazisGrafton, MA 01519
<MarkBlazisSafaris...>