Date: 9/23/19 3:45 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (22 Sep 2019) 39 Raptors

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (34): Hank Davis, Colleen DelMonte, Puff Busch, Jean-Marie
Gauthier, Harley Rubenstein, Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Gary Collins, Carol
Collins, Carl Mease, Maureen Eick-Benson, Lana Glass, Maria Zouras, Elias
Zouras, Pete Zeigler, Dirk Robinson, Norm Lincoln, Elaine Kirk, Sally Ann
Sims, Rand McIlvaine, Beaty Broughton, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Gerry Teig, Don &
Sue Manuel, Sue McLaughlin, Ken Reynolds, Rhoda McNitt, Bob Reitz, Laura
Wagner, Ann & Ted Wilson
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny-Mostly Sunny (0-25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 64 - 88F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (62) and Turkey Vultures (71).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
MY butt is on the line today. I’ve been calling for the big flight of
the year of Broad-winged Hawks to occur today at Bucktoe. It would be for
the third consecutive year shoud it happen. Last year we saw nearly 5,000
birds on Sept. 22, while in 2017, over 2,000. I’m gonna NEED four
figures to be happy today! First, came our regular Sunday bird walk
though. 20 people showed up seeing 39 species highlighted by Bald Eagle,
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warblers, American
Redstarts, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warblers,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
I broke away early to begin the hawk watch. Let’s see, how do I spin
what happened? I was ONLY 984 Broad-winged Hawks short of my quadruple
digit goal. What were all you people doing here today? I told you the big
flight is going to be on Tuesday! LOL Ah, we still had fun, right?
<BR><BR>
After the watch, I stopped briefly at Wilson Road Pond seeing 3 Kestrels
and a Meadowlark.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Green Heron, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warblers, American Redstarts,
Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 65, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Brown
Snake. Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.25; Steps:
12,317; Floors: 112.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season:
104
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit transitional with clouds slowly increasing
and winds all wrong, but light. Tuesday might be he day.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek