Date: 9/22/19 11:15 pm
From: m b via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] No sighting, literally
Well here's some more bad news after that report about the massive bird loss since the 70s. From the Massachusetts ABA list:

Subject: Birdbanding Saturday September 21
Date: Sat Sep 21 2019 12:08 pm
From: barb620 AT theworld.com

Thanks to Mark Blazis for this report.

I'm shocked as well.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: Mark Blazis
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 12:14:06 -0400

For the first time in over 30 years of bird banding fall migration in
Massachusetts, I mist-netted zero warblers (Auburn Sportsman�s Club
station). I find that Shocking, really, for a September morning with a
previous evening of westerly winds.
Declining songbird populations, local spraying for EEE, pesticides,
diminishing habitat, domestic/feral cat predation, and climate change
have all conspired all too quietly among an uninformed public to
negatively alter not just today�s numbers but, anecdotally, totals at my
research over the last decade.

Mark

Mark Blazis
Grafton, MA 01519

<MarkBlazisSafaris...>

sent from my phone so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying misspellings