Date: 9/22/19 7:28 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (22 Sep 2019) 11 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 22, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 105 106
Bald Eagle 1 79 79
Northern Harrier 2 18 18
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2 455 457
Cooper's Hawk 0 34 34
Northern Goshawk 0 1 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 1 1
Broad-winged Hawk 3 7697 7699
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 65 65
Merlin 1 31 31
Peregrine Falcon 1 6 6
Unknown Accipiter 0 9 9
Unknown Buteo 0 7 7
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 34 34

Total: 11 8542 8547

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Levi Burford

Observers: Francie Von Mertens, Jim McCoy, Julie & Laurel Brown,
Mike Gebo, Phil Brown, Phil and Alden Brown, Susie Spikol

Visitors:
245 visitors including a group of approximately 200 that showed up to watch
our two Broad-winged Hawks have a second chance at making it in the wild.
Even though the day was not perfect for watching the migration of our birds
of prey, it was great for watching our rehabilitated birds, both found by
roads in Greenfield, NH and Weare, NH.

Weather:
The wind was WSW right out of the bat, and there it remained all day. Wind
strength was light to moderate, too much for thermal production, I feel.
Temps were warm.

Raptor Observations:
It just wasn't the day for migration. It would have been nice to have some
birds to draw people's attention to during the buildup to the raptor
release of the two Broad-winged Hawks that were released at 3pm.

In addition to the migrants noted, the following non-migrants were also
observed: 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Cooper's Hawk, and 8 Turkey Vultures.

Non-raptor Observations:
Migrant of the day was 1 late Chimney Swift, spotted by Ezra Von Mertens.

Warblers and Vireos consisted of Cape May Warbler, Black-throated Green
Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Red-eyed Vireo, and Blue-headed Vireo.

Northern Flicker and Winter Wren continue.

Predictions:
Looks like the wind is forecast to be pretty strong out of the southwest
tomorrow. I'm not sure that it means much for tomorrow's forecast. I wish
Iain luck!

Tuesday looks to have a little more promise with mainly west winds. We
might have a little pulse of Broad-wingeds. We are still shy of the 8,900
Broad-winged Hawks that we average every year, so the question is: "How
many are there left to migrate through?" Come on up and help us find out!
Report submitted by Levi Burford (<lbburford...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320