Date: 9/22/19 5:57 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (22 Sep 2019) 180 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 22, 2019

Black Vulture 2 70 110
Turkey Vulture 10 219 357
Osprey 6 107 131
Bald Eagle 1 84 125
Northern Harrier 0 8 8
Sharp-shinned Hawk 33 212 228
Cooper's Hawk 4 28 34
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 2 2
Broad-winged Hawk 110 3971 4069
Red-tailed Hawk 4 58 118
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 1 19 26
Merlin 0 6 11
Peregrine Falcon 2 4 7
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 7 24 50

Total: 180 4812 5276

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 9.25 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Kathie Romano

Visitors:
Veteran BOK observer Kathie Romano was key to many of the Broadwing,
Sharpshin, and the one Bald Eagle sightings. David and Ben Beyer from
Kutztown pointing out many raptors. Mike and Greg (or Greg and Mike
depending on who is responding) from the Baltimore area, thanks for
stopping on your section AT Sunday hike. And the four nice folks from the
Philadelphia area, next time we talk I’ll have more specific details on
Monarchs and their migration.

Weather:
Skies were hazy with mixed clouds and sun, a low temperature of 68F and a
high temperature of 87F. Winds were generally from the SW ranging from
calm in the morning to infrequent gusts of 8 mph in the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
The first raptor of the day was an Osprey at 0812 that was identified to
the counter by a Common Nighthawk. The Nighthawk was in the Bake Oven bowl
hunting insects and luckily flew toward the low flying Osprey that was
already past the South look-out on its westward migration. Even though
today’s Broadwing count was 1500 less than last Sunday’s count, many of
the Broadwings were low, directly overhead and we were observing them and
not just counting them. Both Peregrine Falcons were low, with one flying
through the bowl below the South look-out observers hugging the ridge,
never flapped.

Bald Eagles (1): 1400 Adult.

Peregrine Falcons (2): 1124 Immature; 1209 (unaged)

Non-raptor Observations:
Also seen was a Common Nighthawk, a female Scarlet Tanager, a number of
Northern Flickers, a Downey Woodpecker, and one Raven.

Predictions:
Partly cloudy skies in the morning will give way to cloudy skies during the
afternoon. A 20% chance of a rain shower, with a high temperature of 86F.
Winds will be from the SW at 10 to 15 mph.

Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!